Sunday, November 9, 2014

Mind what you volunteer for


When we first moved to Kiev, my motto was ‘turn down no invitation’.  On the quest to meet new people, I joined the International Women’s club, 2 book clubs, the PTA.  While never much into ballet, I eagerly went along to a girls’ night out at the ballet.

In the same spirit, I went on-line here looking for volunteer opportunities.  

I found a shelter looking for volunteers to work a street fair.   The idea: the shelter recruits volunteers & the street fair donates the ‘wages’ they would have paid to that shelter.  Easy + possibility to meet people + support a worthy cause = I signed up for a 4-hour shift at the Folsom Street Fair.

I remembered it was pretty alternative – read it described as “a true only in San Francisco original, the world’s largest leather subculture street fair”.


At first glance, it looked like any street fair
Food trucks getting ready...

Lots of sponsors to thank..
(hmm - past Miller Lite the sponsor list isn't so everyday) 

Friendly gate guard..

Relatively empty streets - with a bit of foreshadowing of what was to come
A corset stand

Unusual outfits

Not exactly 'state fair uniforms' for the food & beverage crew
(the rules stated anyone working in food & bev had to cover their cheeks - cracked me up that they needed to make that clear!)


I got instructions on how to man my station – as a “Green Team member" 
(a nice way of saying a recycling & composting lady)


As the fair got busier, the 'subculture' bit got way more visible
Spanking...

Strappy straps…


Unabashedly naked...

Prisoner…

(Struck me that this leash holder looks decidedly 'librarian')

Full on pampered dom...



And just good old SF festive…


Clearly fab people watching - and while as the crowd thickened (& people got closer), I started to wonder if it was a bit more 'subculture' than I was ready for - it also reinforced that SF is truly a place where self expression is welcome.  AND that I can STOP giving any thought to what I 'should' wear.

Here's to new experiences AND to knowing when to jump in the deep end vs. dip a toe!




No comments:

Post a Comment